Lee J. Mamola, Architect and Running Coach
Running and architecture have been a part of my life since early childhood.
I have owned my own award winning architectural firm for over 25 years. My work as an architect has been published in local and national journals and been recognized with receiving design awards. I have also held leadership positions in several very well respected architectural firms in the Detroit area.
I have recently retired but remain active with various smaller design projects for special clients.
I am also a nationally certified running coach through the Road Runners Club of America (RRCA). I prefer to work with a select number of individuals so I can provide personal attention that each running client expects. Please feel free to learn more about my services as a running coach here: http://www.therunningarchitect.com
My competitive running began in Jr. HS and continues well into my years as a Masters Runner (over 40yrs). I regularly finish at or near the top finishers of my age group (60-64). When I compete in races from the 5K to Marathons
I have run 12 marathons, including Detroit, Honolulu, Boston, New York City, and Raleigh, Chicago, and Traverse City, MI. I am entered to compete once again at the Boston Marathon in April 2016. I have also run about 40 half marathons, and countless other races of shorter distances. For the past five years I have been proud to be a member of the Brooks’ (running shoe and gear company) Inspire Daily (ID) program.
Architecturally my favorite projects are those that include a client that values my contribution as an architect. My work has been recognized for awards by the American Institute of Architects (AIA), The Construction Association of Michigan (CAM), has been published in several national magazines and journals.
I enjoy serving my community and profession often in a leadership position such as; Past President of The Novi Chamber of Commerce, Past President of The Novi Rotary Club, Past Chair of the University of Detroit Mercy School of Architecture Alumni Board, Past Chair of Novi Historic District Study Committee, Past Secretary on the Novi Planning Board, Past Treasurer of the Michigan Architectural Foundation, and current member of the Construction Board of Appeals in Novi.
I am a husband, father, proud grandfather to Charlie, Liam, Katie, Ben and the owner of a very active border collie, Zeus, who also enjoys running, although not far.
- Nationally Certified Running Coach, Road Runners Clubs of America, 2017
- Brooks ID (Inspire Daily) Coach, 2008 – present
- Running Fit 501, Assistant Coach 2009-16
- The 501 Running Club Coach 2017 – present
- USATF National Championship First Place Team, 10K, AATC
- 13 Marathons, 10 time Boston Qualifier Detroit (6), Boston (2), New York, Chicago, Honolulu, Traverse City Bayshore, Raleigh City of Oaks AG Winner
- Over 30 half marathons, Competed in every Brooksie Way (12)
- Crim 30 year club member 2016 – present, Completing 32 Crim Ten Mile Road Races, Flint MI
- Age Group Competitor most races entered of any distance
- Coached runners in the following races; Detroit Marathon (full and half), Glass City Marathon, Bayshore Marathon, Chicago Marathon, Marine Corp Marathon, New York City Marathon.
Call or email Coach Lee: 248-773-9970 or TheRunningArchitect@gmail.com